home equity line of credit
RATES AS LOW AS
APR AFTER THE FIRST 6 MONTHS1
Get the cash you need with a variable rate line of credit with the option to lock-in a fixed rate on portions of what your borrow.2
(1) APR=Annual Percentage Rate. Home Equity Freedom Line of Credit (Line of Credit) introductory rate of 1.99% APR is subject to change without notice. Introductory APR is available for all new lines of credit for a 6-month period of time from the date of the line of credit account opening. Minimum $5,000 line amount to open. Refinancing of existing Members 1st equity loans and lines of credit are excluded from introductory APR. The introductory APR will automatically terminate at the end of the 6-month introductory period. No notice to borrower required. Upon expiration of the introductory rate, the advertised regular rate applies to credit worthy borrowers with property values equal to 80% loan to value (LTV) and below. The advertised regular line of credit rate is based on Prime Rates published in the Wall Street Journal on the last business day of the previous month plus or minus a margin with a floor of 3.00%. Maximum rate of 18%. Your APR may vary. All balances will accrue interest at the variable APR in effect for your account based on LTV and credit worthiness. The Home Equity Freedom Line of Credit permits borrowing up to 100% of the available equity in a primary residence and rates may vary based on creditworthiness and loan-to-value (excludes rental properties).
(2) Fixed Term Option: You may lock in all or a portion of your line as a fixed term loan up to three fixed terms at one time. Terms available from 1 year to 15 year maximum. Minimum $5,000 to lock-in. Fixed term APR may vary based on term chosen. Your first fixed term lock option is free and subsequent lock options are subject to a $100 processing fee. Balances you choose to lock in at the fixed rate of interest must be repaid in substantially equal monthly payments of principal and interest. The total monthly payment under the Line of Credit will include repayment of the total of all advances under the Line of Credit to date, in addition to and including the advance(s) for fixed term lock option(s).
Fees: Members 1st FCU will pay all closing costs in conjunction with the Line of Credit agreement. If your Line of Credit is paid in full and closed within 36 months, you may be required to reimburse all third party fees paid on your behalf upon closing your account.
Property insurance is required. Other restrictions or conditions may apply. This offer may be withdrawn at any time. Pennsylvania and Maryland residence only. For non-members, you'll be required to join Members 1st to meet eligibility requirements. Ask an associate for details.
We do business in accordance with the Federal Fair Housing Law and Equal Credit Opportunity Act.
HOME EQUITY FREEDOM LINE OF CREDIT
With every mortgage payment, you build equity in your home. You can use that equity to open a Members 1st Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC) which can help you pay down debt or pay for things like home improvements, a special vacation, a wedding, college, medical bills or any other unexpected expenses life throws at you.*
Check our current Members 1st HELOC annual percentage rates (APRs) here.
*Note: A HELOC cannot be used to finance the purchase of a new primary residence, swing loan or bridge loan. Please contact us to discuss other options.
HOW DO HOME EQUITY LINES OF CREDIT WORK?
Life can be unpredictable, especially when it comes to financial matters. Even the most prepared homeowners can find themselves surprised by a sudden or large expense. When you need extra funds, a HELOC provides a way to use your home equity as a borrowing tool.
With a HELOC, you can borrow up to 100%* of the available equity on your primary residence as long as your mortgage balance is less than your home's value. But, unlike a loan, you only pay for what you spend and the interest your balance accrues. You can borrow as much or as little against your home equity as you need to, then repay your balance through monthly installments.
Your HELOC will have a 10-year draw period.* The draw period is the time frame during which you may borrow against your equity and pay exclusively against your interest. The principal balance comes due after the draw period concludes. Interest and principal payment services are available online.
*100% financing is available on loan amounts up to $150,000 on a primary residence and excludes rental properties. Sample terms: If you borrow $30,000 at 8.50% APR for a 10-year term, your estimated monthly payment may be $371.96. Other restrictions or conditions may apply. Rates are subject to change without notice. Consult your tax advisor for tax deduction information.
WHY CHOOSE MEMBERS 1ST?
Financial Security and Flexibility
No need to worry about rising interest rates—you can choose to lock in your interest rate and switch from a variable rate to a fixed-rate on all or part of what you borrow. We also ensure flexibility in how you can pay. You'll have the freedom to make minimum interest-only payments during your draw period. However, you can also pay as much of your principal as you want during that time. You can pay in person at any of our branches or use digital banking services through your computer or smartphone.
BORROW MORE FOR LESS
Members 1st allows you to borrow more than other credit unions. While some may cap your HELOC at 80% of your home equity, your Members 1st HELOC will extend to 100%.* What's more, our HELOC is available at both variable and fixed rates. Variable rates allow you to take advantage of APR valleys, while fixed rates provide absolute certainty as you use your HELOC. One of our biggest differences from other credit unions is that we do not charge closing costs or application fees (except for trust review costs for properties deeded in a trust).
Borrowing against the equity in your home is a big decision. But don't stress—we'll be with you every step of the way. Let's create a personalized financial plan that works for you—with terms and rates tailored to fit your budget. We promise there will be no surprises. Just our friendly associates that are ready to help whenever you need a hand.
Home equity comes from the payments you make towards your mortgage. Each payment you make increases the equity you have in your home.
- Using online validation tools called automated valuation models.
- Requesting a comparative market analysis from a realtor.
- Submitting your information to the Federal Housing Financing Agency’s house price index (HPI) calculator.
- Hiring a professional home appraiser.
Home equity is the amount you've put toward your mortgage principal. You can determine your equity by calculating how much you've paid so far — excluding interest and escrow — or by subtracting the current balance from the total loan value.
Please be ready to provide:
- Property information such as the address, purchase price and property type.
- A property value estimation.
- The amount you'd like to borrow.
- Your personal information and contact information.
- Employment and income information.
- Information regarding all financial accounts and debts.
Applications take a few minutes to complete. You should receive an answer in two to six weeks.
You can use a HELOC for any expense. We recommend using your HELOC for long-term payments like tuition, a wedding, medical bills or home renovations.