DIY Tips to Organize Your Bedroom on a Budget
Develop a plan, declutter your belongings and delight in your low-cost, new-look bedroom!
Between sleeping, dressing and winding down at the end of the day, you spend more time in your bedroom than anywhere else in your home. Organizing and decluttering the space will make it feel bigger and better, and you don’t have to spend much money to do it.
Advantages of Organizing Your Bedroom
Even the tidiest space benefits from better organization. When everything has a proper place in your bedroom, you spend less time looking for things and make your morning routine more efficient. Studies have linked clutter to greater stress and lesser productivity. Plus, you may feel so inspired after your bedroom makeover that you use the momentum to tackle laundry room or garage organization projects.
How to Organize Your Bedroom
You should have two goals for organizing your bedroom— decreasing clutter and maximizing space. Try these three tactics to stay under budget:
- Use organizational materials you already have around your home, such as empty tea canisters or well-cleaned jelly jars.
- Break the project into short sessions, so you don’t feel overwhelmed by changing everything.
- Start with your closet, then work your way around the room.
Affordable DIY Ways to Get Your Bedroom Organized
Here are six tips to get you started.
- Use the space under your bed. You can store out-of-season clothing, workout gear, spare sheets and more in bins that slide out of sight under the bed.
- Create your jewelry organizer. No more dropping bracelets on dressers or vanities. Instead, use found items around your home to hold your jewelry. Get creative! Paint or add glitter to your jars and containers.
- Add hooks to the wall. Instead of splaying robes over doors or tossing coats on the floor, put up hooks (just a few dollars at Home Depot) to hold bulkier items that don’t fit well in the closet.
- Decorate walls with DIY art. Organizing extends to what you display, too. Give your décor a fresh look for a few bucks. Find low-priced frames at Michaels and display the cover of a favorite book, a collage of birthday cards, or a child’s favorite painting.
- Invest in a storage bench or ottoman. Devote most of your budget to one smart, multifunctional piece. You get seating in your bedroom and more space to tuck away clutter gathering on dressers and nightstands.
- Clean out your dressers. Once your closet is under control, turn your attention to weeding out the clothes you never wear in your dressers. Donate anything in good condition to Community Aid.
Enjoy your new space and let it inspire you! Ready to completely remodel your bedroom or redo another room in your home, like your pantry? Consider what you could do with one of our low-rate home equity loans.
We do business in accordance with the Federal Fair Housing Law and Equal Credit Opportunity Act.