Deep-clean everything in your home using our thorough, room-by-room guide.
Spring has sprung, so it’s time to get deep cleaning done! While you clean and organize your house regularly, spring cleaning goes beyond everyday tasks and focuses on the big jobs you only do once a year. Use this room-by-room guide to make the inside of your house sparkle—and free you up to tackle your outdoor spring projects.
Do these tasks in every room:
- Clean baseboards and windowsills.
- Remove marks or stains on walls with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.
- Wash windows using old newspapers and Windex.
- Launder or wipe down window treatments.
- Dust or vacuum lamp shades and light fixtures.
In the bathroom:
- Throw out old shampoos, conditioners, makeup and soaps.
- Launder the shower curtain, rugs and towels in the washing machine.
- Wash or replace bathmats.
- Clean shower grout.
In your kitchen:
- Get rid of expired food and spices in your pantry and cupboards.
- Clean the oven.
- Dust refrigerator coils.
- Wipe down the inside of the refrigerator and replace or add a box of baking soda to keep it smelling fresh.
In the living room:
- Dust and vacuum everything.
- Toss old or broken knickknacks.
- Launder decorative pillowcases.
- Treat all furniture with a hair removal tool if you have pets.
In your home office:
- Disinfect your computer or laptop keyboard.
- Dust your desk and bookcases.
- File any paperwork.
In your bedrooms:
- Remove old clothing from dressers and donate it.
- Vacuum the floors in every closet.
- Flip and deep clean your mattress.
- Wash pillows and comforters.
In your garage:
- Clean up any spills on the floor.
- Make spring and summer items easily accessible.
- Properly dispose of used oil, paint and other old supplies.
- Store out-of-season sporting equipment.
Finally, before wrapping up, change the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in every room. Making this an annual habit will protect you and your family. Remember to buy your new batteries and other cleaning supplies using our VISA cards, which offer great rewards.
Download our free Spring Cleaning Checklist to keep you on track.